Monday, June 1, 2015

Prologue

PROLOGUE

Somewhere at the Sierra Madre Mountain Ranges, Philippines
May 20, 2097

            Two people what it seem to be a father and son of mid 50s to 60s and 17 to 20 respectively, hunting in the forest of the Sierra Madre Mountain Ranges 155 miles away from civilization. “There son, look” said the father. “Where is it?” the young man cried. His father pointed at the horizon. “I can’t see it” he said so his father let him look at his rifle’s scope. “See that, my boy?” he said, “it’s a wild rabbit.” The young man smiled. “Looks like we’ll be eating handsomely tonight” his father continued. “Can I be the one to shoot this one?” His father smiled and said “of course, my son. I’ve already shot many today. You can have this game.” The young man smiled and said thank you. “In fact,” his father continued. “You can have that for dinner all for yourself if you’d like.” The young man smiled and looked with the scope again. Now with a firm grip on the rifle, he aimed carefully at the wild rabbit, and then pulled the trigger. The shot was made with great accuracy and precision stating that the young man has been hunting with his father for years.

            The young man grinned and returned the rifle to his father. “Did you hit it, son?” his son isn’t saying a word so he looked with the scope. The young man killed the rabbit “Great shot, son.” His son smiled and said “thanks dad.” They both climbed down the mountain to get the killed rabbit. “Well will you look at that, son? A clean hit right above its heart.”
“Nah, I’m not good enough, dad. I’m not as good as you.” He bent to his knees and points at the bullet wound of the rabbit. “I mean, I can’t hit the target good enough, I’ve missed its heart.”
“Well you’ve shot my heart, son.”
“Thanks dad. Let’s get back to camp then?”
“Agreed, it’s getting dark now.”
They both headed back to their camp. The young man’s father cleans their hunted game; rabbits, fish, and other animals that are legal to hunt while he starts the fire. Just then, a girl who is the same age as the young man gets near him while she’s carrying a basket. She’s a beautiful girl, as beautiful as the full moon.
“Julianne!” the young man cried. “You’re back.”
“Yep, I just got back from finding fruits, look.” She said as she showed him her basket.
“Ooh, where did you find them apples?”
“Oh just beyond the river.”
“Beyond the river?” the young man cried. “But that’s far away. You mean to tell me you’ve walked for miles back and front for these fruits?”
Julianne nodded. “Wow.” The young man cried. “Looks like ‘looks can be deceiving’ I suppose?” he said and smiled while staring at her eyes. Just then, the young man’s father interrupted them and said “well son, I’m sorry to disappoint you but here’s the meat, cook them while I’ll set up the perimeter so wild animals won’t get near our camp.” Then he left. The young man and Julianne laughed. “C’mon,” she said.“I’ll help you out.” The young man knowing that he is in no place to reject her, he let Julianne help him cook. Hours later the young man’s father came back and they all sat down near the fire and ate. After eating, they all went to their tents, Julianne has her own tent while the young man and his father shares the same tent. “You think she’s asleep now, son?” the young man’s father asked.
“I think so, why?”
“Well…” he paused for several seconds. “It’s about you and Julianne.”
“What about her?”
“Well… how can I put this… you like her?”
“What’s with that question? Of course I like her; I mean she’s my childhood friend and all.”
“No, not that ‘like,’ I meant do you ‘like-like’ her?”
“What? No!” the young man exclaimed then blushed. He paused for a bit then continued. “She’s my childhood friend, and that’s that!” His father laughed. “Alright son, but know this; you have my approval.” His father smiled and turned to the other side.
“What approval?” the young man cried. “Dad, what approval are you talking about!?”
“You know for a Viscount, you sure are noisy.”
“I’m sorry, father. Let’s get some sleep.” They both fell asleep. At Julianne’s tent, she isn’t sleeping at all; in fact, she is blushing and trying to conceal her shrieking.

The young man was dreaming of something. He saw many visions showing in front of him all at once, countless voices are heard in every direction. Then in the midst of this chaos in his dream, he saw a dark figure standing right in front of him. Who are you? But the figure remained silent. After a few seconds, the figure is walking towards him slowly. He was startled and tried to run away from it. But with no avail, it as if he was not even moving from his place even if he pushed himself to the limit, he was not moving to another place. The figure comes near him. Who are you? I demand you to reveal yourself! “You’re in danger.” The figure said with an eerie voice. “It is time for you to wake up.”
“What did you mean?”
“Time for you to wake” the voice continued, then it shouted loudly “now!” With that, the young man woke up, it’s already morning. His father is not with him when he woke up, so he got up from his sheet and left his tent. Father?
“What is it, son?” the young man looked behind him and he saw his father with Julianne packing up their things. “Are we leaving?”
“Yes, Julianne and I were just packing your things. You were in a deep sleep and we didn’t want to bother you.”
“Oh, then let me help out.”
“Alright, you can start by unfurling the tent.”

And so he did so as his father asked him to. Later on, they all put their bags to the truck and went on their way. “Oh and by the way,” his father said. “Julianne and I were just chatting about what she will be doing with her future.”
“Oh really?” he said. “And what did she told you?”
“I told him I will be going to the Capital Region to study for college.” Julianne interrupted.
“Really, where will you be studying?”
“I’ll be studying at the Imperial College of Engineering, how about you?”
“Me? Well I’m going to join the military as my father did.”
“Are you sure, my son?” his father interrupted them.
“Yes, father. I’m already good at shooting, but not as good as you, and I’ve studied all your books about your strategies about warfare so I think I’ll be OK with it and I’ll become a Colonel in no time just like you.”
“Well son… you have to be more ambitious than that. You must be higher than my rank if you are to be a part of the military. We have a legacy to consider. Your grandfather was a leftenant. So it is appropriate that I made Colonel. So you, my son, must be a General when you climb the ranks of the military.”
“I will do my best, father.”
After hours of traveling, they finally returned to their home at Aurora Province. Their home is a mansion, with elegance and texture that symbolises the Renaissance, a garden so beautiful with flowers spanning across the yard. Home at last.

The young man’s father exits the vehicle and starts putting down the bags in the truck. “Julianne, when will your father going to pick you up after you returned with us from the camping trip?”
“My father will be picking me up later in the afternoon.”
“Ah, well then you have just enough time to spend some time here at our house.”
“Thank you, Count Clavio.” She bowed to the Count with grace and snatched the young man’s arms and leaves. “Wait, where are we going Julianne?” he cried. “We are going to have fun.” Julianne said while giggling.
“Ah, young love.” The Count said to himself. “I remembered my days as a young lad.”
One of the Count’s servants approached him and said “Your Excellency, I am here to take your things inside.”
“Very well, thank you. And after you’re done, see me at my study later.”
“Yes your Excellency.” The servant bowed and starts with his duties. The count went to his study and he noticed that there is a mail placed in his desk. He opens it and read.
           
Excellency,
I understand that you’re busy with your quality time with your son. When you’re reading this then you’re already back from your trip. There is a matter of the utmost importance that you are needed to be present. I hope that you are to come to Pendragon Imperial Palace as soon as possible to know what the situation is.
                                                                                   
                                                                                                With regards,
                                                                                    Charles Frederick von Naga
                                                                                    28th Emperor of the Empire
“The Emperor himself?” he exclaimed. “I must go to Pendragon at once!” The servant from earlier entered the room afterwards. “Your Grace, I have finished unpacking your things.”
“Ah good, prepare the private plane at Baler Airport. I’m going to the Capital Region.”
At the back of the mansion lies another garden filled with flowers. It is as beautiful as the Aries Villa, the summer home of the Royal Family. “Come on!” Julianne cried. “But where are you taking me?” the young man said while panting. “Please tell me, I’m almost out of breath.”
Minutes later they stopped. Finally!
“Oh come on, aren’t you man enough? A small pace running isn’t that bad.”
“Speak for yourself” he is still panting, “Now what is it that you wanted to show me?”
“This” Julianne showed the young man two bracelets made from beads.
“Where did you get that?”
“I made it while we were camping with your father.”
“Oh? Then one of that is for me?”
“Yes,” she smiled, “This one is for you, and this one is for me.” She put the bracelet at the young man’s wrist and she put the other in hers.
“Now with this, we can never forget each other, never.”
The young man paused for a second, “Listen,” the young man said but Julianne interrupted, “I have something to say.” They both laughed at each other and at the same time they blushed.
“You go first.” said the young man.
“No, you go.”
“By all mean, ladies first.”
“No, it’s fine. You’ll go first.”
“OK” the young man took a deep breath and stars speaking. “Look… we err… know each other since we’re kids… and um…” he paused, “I was thinking to myself that I might as well tell you this… um… I–” just before the young man would finish what he is trying to say, Julianne kissed him.
“You didn’t let me finished what I was trying to say.” Julianne smiled, “I already know what you’re about to tell me, because... that’s what I’m about to say as well.”
“Wait, what?” he cried. “That’s not fair, I said ladies first. I was about to do this instead.” Julianne giggled. “I love you.” She said.
“I love you too.” Then they kissed again, this time, it is tenderly. Just then, Count Clavio’s voice was heard saying his name. “Sebastian!” They quickly kept their distance from one another. “Yes, father?”
“Ah, there you are.” The Count cried. “I am about to go to the Capital Region for something urgent and I was thinking if you want to tag along.”
“I would gladly but…” Sebastian paused and looked at Julianne. Suddenly realizing it, the Count exclaimed “Oh… oh!” he smiled and continued “I understand, my son. I’ll be going then.”

“Thank you, father” Sebastian bowed. “Take care.” Julianne also bowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment